Country Information Update 28.08.21

There is an exemption to the requirement for a work permit for a worker who has his main residence outside the Netherlands and who performs incidental work consisting exclusively of: the assembly or repair of tools, machines or equipment supplied by his employer established outside the Netherlands, or the installation and adjustment of software supplied by his employer established outside the Netherlands or by instructing in its use

There is an additional exemption for the below that may also apply to you: preparing, furnishing, holding or dismantling an exhibition or stand for a client established outside the Netherlands

In summary, our understanding from the advice given is that no special Visa requirment for the delivery of your services if the company you have contracted with is not NL registered.  

There are work permit exemptions in place for Germany for specific areas of work within a framework of 90 days in a 12 month period (total):

Persons who are posted to Germany by their employer with its head office outside Germany for up to 90 days within a period of 12 months to
- install and assemble machines, systems and programs for data processing for commercial purposes which have been ordered by the employer, to instruct others in their operation, or to maintain or repair such machines *
- collect machines, systems and other items that have been purchased or to receive instruction in their operation.
- dismantle used equipment or systems purchased to reassemble them in the employer’s country of residence, *
- assemble, dismantle and staff the company’s own trade fair stands or trade fair stands for a foreign company located in the country where the employer’s head office is domiciled,
- complete a company training course within the framework of export and licence agreements.

* the staffing of trade fair stands requires the employer to report such employment to the Federal
Employment Agency prior to the activity. The relevant form is available online at

A work permit exemption applies to UK passport holders if you are going to work for up to 90 days if they are working in one of the below categories:
a sporting, cultural or scientific event, a seminar or trade show, the production and broadcast of cinematographic and audiovisual works, modelling, IT/ asset management/ insurance/ finance/ design/ engineering audit or expertise missions

There is no requirement for a visa for UK passport holders for up to 90 in 180 days and the exemption from the requirement for a short-stay visa will also apply in cases where British citizens enter Italy to perform paid work, subject to reciprocal arrangements for Italian citizens in the U.K.


Since 1 Jan 2021, British Citizens need a visa to engage in professional and artistic activities in Spain, even if these activities are carried out in a period of less than 90 days.

Each person has to go to an in person appointment at their local Spanish consulate / application centre, the location is based on where the applicant ordinarily lives.

When it comes to musicians, actors and other professionals of the av industry who need to take part in performing / filming in Spain, (including technicians whose work is necessary to carry out the artistic performance), they need to apply for a visa with work permit exemption (C-EET). This is only if the activity doesn’t exceed 5 continuous days of ‘performance’ (work) or twenty days in a period of 6 months. This visa will be valid for a maximum of 90 days.

Direct from UK Spanish Consulate:

"You don’t need a visa for attending fairs, meetings, purchase and sale management, commercial transactions.
For technicians who are going to work they need a previous authorisation for work issued in Spain and work visa".

All the requirements for work visas are downloadable at the end of our FAQ page:

But it is the authorisation issued in Spain who determines the type of work visa.


SME Brexit Support Fund is open for applications: The SME Brexit Support Fund could give businesses up to £2,000 to help with training or professional advice, if your business has up to 500 employees and no more than £100 million annual turnover. Traders can apply for up to £2,000 in total through two types of grants: 

Grant for Training: The grants can be used to provide training on the following: 

  • How to complete customs declarations  
  • How to manage customs processes and use customs software and systems  
  • Specific import and export related aspects including VAT, excise and rules of origin 

Grant for Professional Advice: The grant can be used to get professional advice, so your business can meet its customs, excise, import VAT or safety and security declaration requirements. 

FIND OUT MORE information on eligibility for the fund and apply ONLINE. Applications will close on 30 June 2021 or earlier, if all funding is allocated before this date


Home Office Visa Update 
The Home Office has updated it’s visa guidance to include information for those outside the UK whose leave has expired before they are able to return to the UK and update information referring to the free replacement of expired vignettes. People whose 90 day vignette has expired need to apply for a replacement by completing the online form. The cost of replacing an expired 90 day vignette is £154 and applicants will need to make an appointment to resubmit their biometric information.  There is also an online form for people who left the UK with valid leave before 17 March 2020 and intended to return to the UK and make an application for Indefinite or Further Permission to Stay, but you were unable to do so before your leave expired because of travel restrictions related to coronavirus.


Global Health Insurance Card  UK residents can apply for a UK Global Health Insurance Card (GHIC) to access emergency medical care when travelling in the EU. Current European Health Insurance Cards (EHIC) are valid as long as they are in date and people can continue to use these when travelling to the EU.


EU (Future Relationship) Bill approved: The EU (Future Relationship) Bill has been approved by Parliament and received Royal Assent. Further details about the bill are available here.

Department for Health and Social Care has updated guidance on healthcare for visitors. The key message for EU nationals from 1 January 2021 is:

  • If you are visiting the UK from an EU country and you fall ill or have a medical emergency during your temporary stay in England, you can use a valid EHIC issued by your home country to access healthcare.
  • Your EHIC also covers you for the treatment of pre-existing medical conditions and for routine maternity care, providing the reason for your visit is not specifically to give birth or receive treatment.
  • The EHIC is not an alternative to travel insurance as it will not cover any private medical healthcare, being flown back home, or lost or stolen property. You should still get travel insurance.


Reciprocal Healthcare: The Secretary of State for DHSC has notified the House about arrangements the Government has made to support people who require ongoing, routine healthcare treatment in order to be able to travel to the European Economic Area or Switzerland after the end of the Transition Period, should there be no further negotiated outcome with the EU. These arrangements would commence from 1 January 2021. Negotiations on future arrangements with the EU are ongoing and include necessary healthcare provisions. If agreed, such provisions would provide effectively the same healthcare cover as the European Health Insurance Card (EHIC). The Government continues to work hard to secure these arrangements.  See more here.

2025 UK Border strategy published: The government has published the 2025 UK Border strategy setting out its vision for when the UK takes back control of its borders on 31 December.  The strategy will look at improving passenger journeys through ports and increased use of eGates to speed passenger journeys.


UK and US sign Customs agreement
The UK and US governments agreed a deal to continue Customs cooperation following EU Exit. 

Sign up to receive the latest industry vacancies

Contact Us
119 High Street
Herts HP4 2DJ

Tel: 01442 285812